Deck staircases are the easiest kind of stairs for a do it yourself to make. Design the stairs at the same time you design your deck. Keep in mind that they should be proportional to the size of the deck. If you have a large, low deck, consider making the steps wide, so two or more people can walk down side by side. Of course, a deck high off the ground should have narrower steps for stability’s sake. Always design a handrail into the staircase.
Finally, have your plans approved by the city or county inspector. Not only will this keep everything you do legally, it may alert you to a safety concern you hadn’t considered.
When you order or purchase the supplies for your new deck, this is also the time to order your stair pieces. You will need stringers, which often are constructed by the decking materials supplier.
It’s better to go with a standard stringer than to try to cut your own. You should even find out what sizes and angles they have available before you finalize your deck plans. It will save you a whole lot of hassle to plan this ahead of time. Stringers are the braces that determine the angle, rise, and tread depth of your stairs.
Installing Deck Staircases
- The first step in installing your deck stairs is to screw the stringers to the deck. Make sure they are placed levelly and plum.
- Check each with your level several times to be sure. The top of the stringer may be installed underneath the decking, or to fascia on the side of the deck to make the top step level with it.
- Next, you need to install your risers. Risers are considered optional on deck stairs, but they are a good idea when it comes to safety.
- Risers can keep little ones from falling through the staircase, and they will protect the stringers from rain and other damage.
- The last piece of your deck stairs, other than the handrail, is the tread on each step. Screw these in tightly, and make sure they line up evenly for a truly professional look.
Quality Deck staircases By Thestaircompanyuk.co.uk
Thestaircompanyuk.co.uk has experience in designing and installing simple or complex structural designs to compliment a commercial space or household, which can be both aesthetic as well as functional.
Our quality deck staircases are designed and fabricated to comply with current building regulations for both internal and external situations; we provide a highly flexible and individually tailored service to meet our client’s expectations and realize a vision into a reality. We have an expanding client base in the UK market and we are now supplying the domestic and commercial market in Europe.